Another addition to the applewood series, five hanging light fixtures. Three I kept and two were given off as gifts. Applewood being so crooked and irregular, I had to come up with a simple design that would still bring about the staggering beauty of that weathered wood while not turning this project into a jointing an planing nightmare.
The end product turned up to be pleasantly retro-modern and a nice addition to our interior. Each different, each unique.
The pandemic has meant for me a sudden halt in my clinical rotations at the hospital and confinement at home. It was rather frustrating to see the crisis unfold in our healthcare system and especially in our senior’s residences and stand here by the sidelines. However, I soon found a way to partake in this vast effort to fight off Covid-19 by volunteering along with dozens of my peers for the HowITreatCovid19.com project:
Our website is dedicated to helping healthcare professionals find accurate and up-to-date information about the best ways to manage and treat patients affected by the COVID-19 outbreak.
Most other volunteers dedicated themselves to sifting through the vast amounts of scientific publications coming out each day. As for myself, I renewed with my previous job as a web developer and got busy building the platform and some of it’s editorial processes.
Every little bit (of code) truly helps in this fight.
La pandémie de Covid-19 (Coronavirus) est une menace sérieuse pour la santé des populations et l’économie.
La réponse des gouvernements est drastique, sans précédents, orchestrée selon les données scientifiques et avec la protection du public comme principal objectif.
Cependant, il n’y aura aucune commune mesure entre les effets du virus sur nos sociétés et ceux du réchauffement climatique à venir.
J’espère sincèrement que nos gouvernements auront l’audace de délaisser le court-termisme politique, prendre au sérieux les alertes de la communauté scientifique et affronter l’urgence climatique avec autant de détermination qu’ils le font pour la présente pandémie.
J’espère sincèrement que cette crise donnera à nos leaders le courage d’agir pour prévenir la prochaine.
The Covid-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic is a serious threat to public health and the economy.
Our government’s response is drastic, without precedent, guided by scientific knowledge and with the public’s protection as its main objective.
However, there will be no common measure between the effects of this virus on our societies and those of global warming.
I sincerely hope our governments will not again yield to political short-term thinking, take seriously the many warnings of the scientific community and will confront climate change with the same determination they have shown when dealing with this pandemic.
I sincerely hope this crisis will give our leaders the courage to take appropriate mesures to prevent the next.
La médina de Tunis; lieu fourmillant d’activité humaine de jour, l’endroit change d’ambiance du tout au tout lorsque la nuit tombe, devenant le royaume des chats, des ordures et de fascinants jeux de lumière.
On m’a clairement averti de ne pas m’y promener la nuit car l’endroit serait arpenté par de malhonnêtes individus chassant le touriste égaré dans son dédale de ruelles pour les racketter.
Sûrement, c’était s’exposer, mais pour de telles images et ambiances …
MediaWiki is meant to be an open platform and was not conceived with fine-grained access control in mind (like ACL). For most cases, that’s ok, but on a project I’m working on I’ve felt the need for keeping some parts of my wiki private and secure from indirect access using transclusions or searches.
In order to achieve that, I’ve entirely revamped the Semantic ACL extension, which had been left unmaintained for some years, but had great potential.
Here’s the list of features (more will be added when needed):
- Works through transclusions: If a page is transcluding a page or a subset of the page that has a protection in place, users not allowed to view that content will see a placeholder message instead.
- Works with files: If a file is protected, users not allowed to see the file will be denied access to the file page and will see placeholder content where the file is used in other pages. If a file is uncategorized or part of category that an anonymous user is not allowed to see, placeholder content will be displayed instead.
- Works with search results: Search results including a page that a user is not allowed to see won’t display the content of the page, only its title.
- Works with Structured Discussions and talk pages: A talk page or a structured discussion will get the same protection as its associated content page.
- Works within the wiki: No need to edit LocalSettings.php to modify restrictions, everything is done from inside your wiki.
- Works with many use cases: Restrictions can be enabled for anonymous/registered users, user groups or individual users.
All the docs are on the extension’s page.